When Facebook was foundered back in 2004, few could have predicted just how popular it would become. It all started at Harvard University, when a student by the name of Mark Zuckerberg decided to create a social network for fellow students. Initially, it was about comparing photos of students from the university’s ‘Facebook’ side by side – the site would match pairs of students and users would vote on which one was the ‘hottest’.
Of course, Harvard moved quickly to shut this site down. Facebook as we know it today was born shortly after; it wasn’t long before it spread to other Ivy League universities, and then to universities in the UK.
A mere two years after its creation (2006), Facebook was open to anyone over the age of 13 – so long as they had a valid email address. These days, it boasts more than 1.3 billion users globally.
In 2015, it’s all about business!
It’s now much more than a social pastime for the general public – it’s a serious marketing machine as well. Your average online marketing agency offers Facebook management as a service, such is its popularity! In fact, social media platforms such as Facebook have given rise to a whole new breed of company – the term ‘social marketing agency’ is now a very real phenomenon. Facebook has proven to be a very successful marketing tool for businesses, and therefore agencies have been quick to start utilising other social media platforms as well. These days it’s also quite easy to find an agency of Facebook social media marketing in Sydney.
Even though Facebook has become a part of our daily lives, there are still many things we don’t know about it.
Some surprising facts are as follows:
1. A young Al Pacino was the first face on Facebook. The face that appeared on the header until 2007 was not Mark Zuckerberg as many people thought. It was in fact a young Al Pacino.
2. Each day, there are 600,000 hacking attempts on Facebook accounts. If you’ve ever been hacked, you’re not the only one!
3. 64% of users access their account on a daily basis. Again, you’re not the only one. There are other people that are addicted to catching up on the latest via their news feeds too.
4. Last year, Facebook was implicated in a third of all divorces. It seems as though Facebook is facilitating casual flings – not to mention stalking former lovers. Get more info about Facebook management company in Melbourne, at http://popsocial.com.au/facebook/
5. Each month, more than 1 billion people access their account via a mobile device. Thanks to the rise of smart phones and tablets, we now have internet access on the go – and we use it to check Facebook!
6. People have actually been murdered for unfriending Facebook contacts. Yes, people take their Facebook friendships very seriously it seems.
7. Facebook stalks you. It actually tracks what sites you’ve visited, even after you’ve signed out. That’s why it’s such a great marketing tool – it knows so much about so many people!
8. Stalkers can send messages to your inbox folder (rather than the junk mail/other folder) for a fee. That’s why that crazy guy is able to keep sending you messages, even though you haven’t accepted his friend request – good one, Facebook.
9. A third of Facebook users feel worse after visiting the website. Ever feel deflated after checking out your account or news feed? You’re not alone.
10. Zuckerberg suffers from red-green colour blindness, which is why he made Facebook blue. Just one last random fact for you.
Oh and one last thing. The meaning of the ‘poke’ has never been defined – so if you have no idea what it’s supposed to mean, you’re not the only one!